Wednesday 3 July 2013

Salvage Kul.char pallet bench project - Sturdy High Bench made from Salvaged and Re-purposed pallets


Pallet Bench -Sturdy High Bench made from Re-purposed pallets


An acquaintance asked (very doubtfully) if it would be possible to make a high bench, as in Bar Stool height, out of pallets.  But ensuring that it is sturdy, solid and can carry weight.  Now for those readers not from sunny South Africa; we have some "heavy duty" citizens.  Purely because we all love to braai (South Africa style BBQ), eating rich foods and socializing and more eating and more socializing. I understood exactly what he meant.

I am always up for a challenge, so I said absolutely! (not having the faintest idea of how I will put this together).  Well needless to say, after a rough design on paper and first attempt in assembly (which did not turn out exactly as I wanted) it was back to review the design, then assembly and voila !.... 
The proof is in the pudding - or rather the proof is in the final product. 

A stunning but sturdy high bench made from salvaged and re-purposed pallets, complete with a backrest, solid seat, footrest and french graphics from my favourite graphic blog: The Graphics Fairy http://thegraphicsfairy.com/.

My recipe and ingredients for concocting this Sturdy High Pallet Bench:


  1. Own design
  2. 2 Pallets
  3. Graphics - I used the Ville de Paris and French Postmark from The Graphics Fairy, then cropped to suit my design vision - you can find the source files here  French-transfer-printable-ville-de-paris and here  French-transfer-printable-paris-typography
  4. Printer
  5. Jigsaw
  6. Circular saw
  7. Hammer
  8. Screws
  9. Drill and screwdriver bits
  10. Carpenters square
  11. Homemade stain and applicators
  12. Water based low gloss sealer and applicators
  13. Stuff to mark with (pencil/chalk)
  14. Savvy
  15. Space and more space
  16. A bag of patience and creativity
  17. Patient family - I found this item particularly useful 
So let me take you on a photo journey...  Starting at the end and working our way back
The Final Pallet Bench - Photo shows the back

Close up of Postmarks- sourced from http://thegraphicsfairy.com/
Ville De Paris Graphic - with one of my assistants doing a quick Q&A check  :-).



Where to start ?

After selecting the pallets I wanted to use, the main structures for the bench are cut from the pallet using my Ryobi Circular saw.

Pallets are cut into sections that will form the base of the bench structure

This is what the cut out sections look like

Pallet bench cut outs for structure
In my initial design concept I grouped two cut outs together. The idea was to use 3 groups in the bench, but I soon realised that unless you are the Incredible Hulk, you will have a pretty hard time moving this bench around. 
So back to the drawing board
Design that was thrown out and reviewed

And then.. Final Design Concept; Seen here the concept set up to deliberate.  I chose to go with this, using only 3 Sections

Pallet Sections - rough set up
With the backrest; seat and foot rest in place, the Pallet Bench is ready to be sanded.
Front view before sanding

Unfortunately the "during" pics for the sanding process did not happen - I get absorbed in the job and forget about pics

Graphics:  After sanding the entire bench, the graphics are done.
As a norm to maintain the rustic effect, I don't fill in holes, whether they are old ones from the original pallet nails or new ones I made during assembly.

Postmarks after transfer

Ville de Paris after graphic transfer


Stain and Sealer:
The bench is then stained with a layer of my homemade "light" stain, and left overnight.
The next day it is sealed with a  water-based sealer.  I normally apply about 3 layers.  The marvelous thing with the water-based sealer is, there is hardly any waiting time / drying time between layers, and no chemicals needed for cleaning.

Stained (Please mind the background lol)
WIP - Applying Sealer I find that the sealer lifts the colour of the stain and graphic
Sealer being applied

And the end result?
A sturdy, solid yet comfy High Bench made only from salvaged and re-purposed pallets.
See Photos below ....
Final product - Side view

Graphics on Backrest
Big comfy seating area
Proof - Made from salvaged and re-purposed pallets
Salvage Kulchar Trademark
Final product - Back view

Final Product : High bench made from salvaged and re-purposed pallets


This bench design, and variations thereof, is now standard in my range.  The graphic design will change from customer to customer.

Hope you enjoyed this photo walk-through as much as I did doing this project

 

 

The Graphics Fairy

No comments: